Our volunteers play an important role in fulfilling the Historical Society’s mission to collect, preserve, and exhibit items relevant to the Town of Hopkinton. Last year more than 50 people volunteered their time at the Historical Society, helping with everything from research, to data entry, to photography, to yardwork.
The time commitment necessary for many of the volunteer positions is flexible. Volunteers may set their own schedules, although we request a minimum of two hours per month. We are open Thursday and Friday from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm and Saturday from 9:00 am–1:00 pm. Please contact us at 746-3825 or email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering, or if you have any questions.
Listed below are current volunteer opportunities:
- Scan glass plate negatives — scan into our computer-based catalog database (called PastPerfect)
- Rebox film negatives — take out of old envelopes and put into archival sleeves and boxes
- Catalog textile items — continue cataloging hanging and boxed textiles; two people should be scheduled together to come in and work on textile descriptions; this work can be done on paper or on PastPerfect
- Clip and file new newspaper items — look through newspapers for obituaries and reports unique to Hopkinton; file in obituary notebooks, subject files, etc.
- File old newspaper clippings — file existing clippings that have not been sorted
- Photograph objects — take photos using a digital camera; either provide CD or enter right into PastPerfect
- Scan photographs from collection — scan into PastPerfect
- Research people — research biographical information about people from whom we have collections; research can be done on paper, on computer, or done right into PastPerfect. PastPerfect fields include: birth date & location, death date & location, parents, spouse, children, occupation, education, etc.
- Pull original documents/photos from research files — look through house files and people files; photocopy, rehouse, and refile original documents
- Index people files — make a list of people for whom we have information
- Update birth/death/marriage index cards — update our records
- Assist with events — assist installing exhibitions, check-in artists at the Art Show opening, etc.
- Give school presentations — present Hopkinton history to school groups, typically 3-4 times per year
- Seek out new local items for the Museum Store — look for items with a specific Hopkinton connection
- Update website — add press releases, etc. to our existing website
- Building maintenance, 300 Main St. — help with general handyman projects